Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

What We Talk About When We Talk About Blogs

Template: For my blog, I wanted to choose a background and color scheme that made it easy to read. I felt it would be more effective if the writing was the focal point, not the background. I ended up going with the simple "off-white" color. I didn't want my blog to be too boring, but I also did not want it to be too loud or overbearing. When it came to the layout of the page, I just wanted it to be organized, so that things would still be easy to find once I started to add more posts to the blog. The color scheme, while simple, still reflects Penn State. I made it that way to show that I support the school and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Title: This blog will be used for English 15S assignments, so it only made sense to me to include the name of the course in the blog title. However, I needed to add a personal touch to it. By adding the "We Are," I not only made an eye catching title, but I also expressed my support for Penn State.

Font: The font used on a page can make or break it. If it is too loud or hard to read, it will be ineffective. If it is too bland or boring, it will be just as ineffective. For my title, I chose the font "Puritan." To me, this seemed like a casual font that invites the reader in. The font in my writing however, is a little more formal. Since my posts will be significantly longer than the title, the font will need to be easier for the eyes to read.

About Me: I just wanted to use a brief section of my blog to give the reader a little information about myself. I may continue to add information to the about me as I spend more time on my blog.

Other Content: Among the other features I included on my blog is the Penn State Nittany Lions Logo. Once again, Penn State Pride, you can never have too much of it. There's also a follow by e-mail gadget, in case anybody is really into my blog and wants e-mail updates. I included a link page on the top of my blog. At the moment there were no links that I felt necessary to include, but as the year goes on I'm sure I will find helpful or interesting sites that I can share with everyone via the link page. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Erik--

    I quite like the Puritan font, too. It feels like a nice change from Times New Roman, but still very easy to read.

    Welcome!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog because you kept it simple. The black text on the white background is just a classic that can't really be replaced. I too, like the font that you chose on here: it is easy to read but not too much like a text book. I also like the title; very school spirited.

    Okay that's all for now.

    Adios!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the title of your blog because you are showing your pride for Penn State and that chant gives me the chills at every football game. The main reason why I like was because I was thinking about using that title for my blog too. I am glad someone else had the same idea as me.

    ReplyDelete