Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Arts/Cultural Response: Wiz Khalifa 2050 Tour


Wiz Khalifa and company turned up the volume at the Bryce Jordan Center in October when the 2050 Tour came to town. Other big name performers Juicy J and Chevy Woods accompanied Wiz Khalifa on the October 12th stop of his North American tour. A few friends and I decided to grab tickets and check it out. Why not when we get the student discount?
This was not only my first concert at the Bryce Jordan Center, but it was also my first rap concert. I’ve gone to see Dave Matthews Band, John Mayer, Train, and Zac Brown Band in concert before, but never any hip-hop artists. I expected the show to be good, I do like a lot of Wiz Khalifa songs, but I just didn’t expect a rap concert to capture the same live performance feeling as a rock or country concert. I knew the beats and even some of the lines at the concert would just be recordings, and I felt that that wouldn’t be the same as hearing artists actually playing their instruments for the crowd. In that sense I was right, but the live performance put on by Wiz Khalifa was mind blowing.
Student tickets were all general admission, which basically means first-come first-serve. So my friends and I got to the BJC about an hour early, and we ended up standing pretty close to the stage. By the time Wiz Khalifa came on, about three quarters of the floor was filled up. It was hot, crowded, and really loud as Wiz Khalifa began his first song. The whole mass of people immediately began to bounce up and down to the beat of the song. From that point on, the atmosphere in the BJC was electric. The best part in my opinion is when he played the song “Never Been,” my favorite song from one of his older mix-tapes. One thing that surprised me about Wiz Khalifa was his on-stage persona. He danced around on stage and held the microphone stand like an old rock star bursting with charisma. I definitely did not expect to see that from a rapper.
             My friends and I all really enjoyed the concert. The Bryce Jordan Center is a great venue to see an act perform at. I would definitely go to another show there, however I don’t know if I would go see another rapper aside from Wiz Khalifa. His live performance was amazing and I think that sets him apart from other hip-hop artists.

1 comment:

  1. I also attended the Wiz Khalifa Concert and thought that it was great! It was not only my first time seeing a concert at the BJC, but ever. I also agree with your description of the crowd when Wiz came on. I've never experienced such energy from a crowd, and such charisma from one person. He is a great performer and I would go see him again.

    ReplyDelete